Help & Advice

Providing independent, confidential, and impartial advice to all University of Worcester students

If you are considering withdrawing from your studies there is a wide range of information on offer and students are advised to get support before making this decision.

It is very important that you do more than simply stop attending.

Other Options

There are others options to students other than permanently withdrawing such as;

  • Temporary withdrawal
  • Changing degree path
  • Changing mode or study from full-time to part-time
  • Mitigating circumstances / Independent Study extension

Funding & Finance

There may be serious financial implications if you withdraw from your studies. It may be that you have received a Student Finance overpayment and will have to repay some of your loan. Further information is available from Finance.

Where to get support

For independent advice contact the Student Advice Service in the SU for confidential support.


See their useful guide on the steps you should take before withdrawing.

Visit Firstpoint to book to see the below support services.

Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) Speaking with your PAT is a good first step if you are considering permanently or temporarily withdrawing from your studies.
Programme Adviser 

The Programme Advisory Service assists students in the planning and registration of programmes of study, including advice on the selection of modules, and changing subjects or pathways.

Student can book appointments via Firstpoint or online

Careers Advisers For advice on applying for jobs, vocational studies or changing University.

If you are living in University accommodation you will be liable for rent until you return your keys and complete the withdrawl process.

If you are living in private rented accommodation you are usually liable for your rent until the end of your contract unless you can find a replacement tenant.

For more advice see our housing advice pages.

Money Advice

The Money Advisers can offer guidance on financial issues. If you are struggling with your finances you may be able to apply for the hardship fund (however if you permanently withdraw you cannot apply for this).

When you permanently withdraw from studies you will become liable for Council Tax. However, you may also become eligible for other benefits.

Student Finance England has also published this guide 

How to formally withdraw

To make sure you are formally withdrawn, you need to complete the online withdrawal from study form.  You can find the link on your SOLE page under the 'Course Information’ tab.

At certain times of the year SOLE may ask you to 're-enrol' before you can withdraw. To enable you to use the online process you may need to contact for them to amend your student record for you.