What is Student Council?
Student Council provides any student with the opportunity to try to influence the policy, priorities and activities of the Students’ Union. It is made up of up to 26 students, including the full-time and part-time elected officers and additional elected Student Councillors representing a range of student groups and interests.
Ideas from students are discussed and debated by Student Councillors, who then vote on whether to approve these proposals and ideas. While any student can submit ideas, proposals and motions, it is only the elected members of Student Council who can vote. These decisions give direction to the Executive Committee and shape the activities of the elected officers. Student Council holds all of the elected officers to account. Student Council also has the authority to expel students from membership of the SU, call a referendum and remove trustees. It also has responsibility for the election of student trustees, the policy of the SU and (together with the trustees) making and amending the bye-laws.
Meetings are chaired by an independent, elected Chair who has responsibility for ensuring that discussions are conducted in an open, inclusive manner and that votes are properly taken and recorded. The elected chair for this year is Ian Mackey
Student Council meetings 2017-18
Any student is welcome to attend Student Council, which will meet from 17:15 on the following dates:
- Tuesday 17th October 2017
- Tuesday 14th November 2017
- Monday 11th December 2017 (cancelled due to inclement Weather)
- Tuesday 13th February 2018
- Tuesday 20th March 2018
- Wednesday 2nd May 2018
How to Submit a Policy Motion
If you would like to submit a policy motion please submit this form to email@example.com by the following deadlines:
- 10am on Friday 6th October 2017 for the meeting on Tuesday 17th October 2017
- 10am on Friday 3rd November 2017 for the meeting on Tuesday 14th November 2017
- 10am on Thursday 30th November 2017 for the meeting on Monday 11th December 2017
- 10am on Friday 2nd February 2018 for the meeting on Tuesday 13th February 2018
- 10am on Friday 9th March 2018 for the meeting on Tuesday 20th March 2018
- 10am on Friday 20th April 2018 for the meeting on Wednesday 2nd May 2018
Student Council membership