Skip to main content

UCU Strike FAQs

What’s going on?
Across the UK, University staff who are members of the University and College Union (UCU) will be taking strike action later this month. Over 70,000 staff at 150 universities will be striking over their pay, working conditions, and pensions. The strikes are due to take place on Thursday 24th, Friday 25th, and Wednesday 30th November, with University of Worcester staff striking over pay and working conditions, as they are unaffected by the pension dispute.

Does the Students’ Union support the strike?
The Students’ Union stands in solidarity with the 70,000 staff across the UK who will be striking this November. We believe that staff working conditions have a direct impact on your learning experience now and in the future, and that unsatisfactory working conditions and pay pose a threat to the long-term health of the higher education system.

You can read our full statement on the strike and why we are in support at

Will Students’ Union services still be available?
Yes. SU staff and Officers are not part of the strike. That means all of our usual services and events will be running as normal, and the Students’ Union and Hangar will be opening at their regular times.

Can I still attend or run Club, Society, or Network events during the strike?
Yes. The strikes are highly unlikely to impact on your events and SU staff will still be here to support you. There is no obligation for you to cancel or rearrange your events whilst strike action is ongoing.

Will my lectures be cancelled or impacted?
Although we know what dates the strikes are happening, not all staff will be on strike, and those striking do not have to inform the University they are doing so in advance. You should attend the University as normal, as most lectures will still be going ahead. If your lecture is cancelled, study spaces in Peirson and The Hive will be open, and the Students’ Union will be open as normal for use as a social space.

You can find more information on the University FAQs page – here.

What can I do if strike action impacts my studies?
In the first instance you should speak to your Course Leader and let them know your concerns. You can also speak to your Course Rep or School Rep, and they will speak to academic staff on your behalf. You can also get in touch with your Vice President Education, Gemma, with academic concerns you may have.

The SU Help & Advice service is also available to all students at the University of Worcester and its partner institutions. You can find more information about the service, including the support we can offer around your academic studies, at

Will University support services still be available?
ll University services and facilities will be open as usual. The only disruption will be lectures and classes, and the University hopes this will be minimal.


Information is also available via the University website – here.