In our 'What’s On: October' guide we talk about how we’re celebrating Black History Month, and cover all the latest news and guidelines around COVID-19 in relation to The Hangar and the University, as well as mention how to become a Course Rep or join a Student Network!
Whilst we’re open for business and holding a number of COVID safe events this month, we appreciate that campus life is a bit different right now. We just want to remind you that your SU is still here for you, to listen to what you have to say, and continue representing you. Get in touch with your Officers (Meg, Harry and Tish) or drop us an email at email@example.com, to let us know how you're doing.
Black History Month
"Ignorance is a cure for nothing"
W. E. B. Dubois
Black History Month takes place every October and aims to celebrate the culture, history, and achievements of African and Caribbean communities and their diaspora. This year, we're working with the African Caribbean Society, BAME Network, and other student groups, to bring you various events and resources throughout the month.
Why is Black History Month important? Our society and culture has been enriched because of all those who have come to the UK to build their lives. Their contributions, as well as the contributions of their descendants, have had a profound and positive effect on all of us. Black History Month gives us all the opportunity to celebrate these contributions and honour the accomplishments of black Britons throughout our history.
Monday 12th October - A Walk Through Black History - 2-7pm - The Hangar
Monday 12th October - Black Excellence Night - 7-9pm - The Hangar
Monday 19th October - Black History Quiz Night - 7-9pm - The Hangar
For more information on how we’re marking Black History Month, visit www.worcsu.com/blackhistorymonth.
Face Covering, NHS Test & Trace app, COVID reporting
Students are now required to wear their face coverings when moving around campus, particularly in enclosed spaces or during class when a 2-metre distance cannot be maintained (where appropriate). You will also need to wear your covering when using The Hangar and may only remove it when seated at your table. These guidelines apply to all students, aside from those who have been identified as being exempt.
The Students’ Union is now also part of NHS Test & Trace. Upon entering the Students’ Union building (this includes The Hangar), you will need to scan the QR code displayed using the NHS Test & Trace app. Please remember to do this, as this is a key element in keeping campus safe and minimizing the risk to all students and staff.
Students are also required to let the University know when they are absent because or illness of isolation related to COVID-19, and if they have a positive or negative COVID test. You can do this by logging onto your SOLE page and clicking on ‘Report Absence’. If you live in Halls of Residence or University managed accommodation, you must also contact security on 01905 855000.
Become a Course Rep
Being a Course Rep is a great way to network, develop professional skills, and most importantly help improve your academic experience. If you would like to find out more about what becoming a Rep entails, speak to your Course Leader, or drop Harry (your Vice President Education) a quick message!
You can also watch Harry and Abbie (our Student Voice Assistant) talk about the process of becoming a Rep in a bit more detail in our latest Officer Vlog.
Join a Student Network
Our Student Networks are student-led groups who exist to connect underrepresented areas of the student population, build communities, enhance diversity on campus, highlight current issues and empower like-minded students to act collectively to bring about change and make a difference.
As a student here at Worcester, you can join any of the following Student Networks if you identify as existing within that group:
- International Students’ Network
- Disabled Students’ Network
- BAME Students’ Network
- Mature, Parents and Carers Network
- Postgraduate Students’ Network
- Commuter Students’ Network
- Sustainability Network
- LGBTQ+ Students’ Network
- Women’s Network
- Widening Participation Network
To find out more, or sign up to a Network, visit www.worcsu.com/networks.
News from The Hangar
- The Hangar is now open Monday to Sunday (7 days a week), from midday until 10pm.
- You must pre-book in advance by calling or texting 07729 235214. Please provide your name, the date and time of the booking and the number of people.
- The venue is only open to current University of Worcester students, and you will be required to show student ID upon entry.
- Karaoke is back! Join us at 5pm every Saturday for just £1. All safety and hygiene measures will be put in place to ensure that The Hangar remains safe and secure. Quiz Night also takes place every Tuesday from 7pm. These events are likely to sell out, so make sure you pre-book in advance as soon as possible.
- Face coverings must be worn when moving around The Hangar and can only be removed when seated in your area.
- Please remain in your area and do not move between other groups of students.
- Download the NHS Test & Trace app, and scan the QR code upon entry (the DOORsentinals app is no longer being used).
- Table service only is currently in operation.