Help & Advice

Providing independent, confidential, and impartial advice to all University of Worcester students

Worcester is, generally speaking, a safe and friendly place for students. However, the SU, The Hangar, and our partners still appreciate the importance of helping students to minimise any risks. This page details the many ways we, collectively, try to help keep students safe and secure. 

Party safe

How are you getting home?

We strongly recommend planning your journey's in advance, staying in a group, sticking to well-lit areas and looking out for your mates.

The Callmy Alert App is the University's official safety app for students. Whether you're feeling uncomfortable in a situation, don't feel safe walking home or have fallen over in your halls, you can easily and immediately notify the University security team and PCSO's through the app. Use the code 'WR2 students' after downloading the app and registering.


Drink Spiking

Drink spiking is a serious crime. Read this quick guide so you know what to do if you think you or someone else has been spiked.

The following information has been taken from Drink Aware

How do I know if my drink's been spiked?

Rohypnol (or Roofie) and Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB) are the most commonly known ‘date-rape’ drugs. They can be odourless, colourless and tasteless. They also leave the body within a short amount of time making them hard to detect. Symptoms will depend on which substance has been used, but they usually include:

 Lowered inhibitions
Difficulty concentrating or speaking
 Loss of balance and finding it hard to move
 Blurred or distorted vision
 Memory loss (amnesia) or "blackouts"
 Feeling confused or disorientated
 Nausea and vomiting; unconciousness.
 Nausea and vomiting

How can I avoid getting my drink spiked?

 Never leave your drink unattended, and keep an eye on your friends' drinks.
 Don't accept a drink from someone you don't know.
 Consider sticking to bottled drinks and avoiding punch bowls or jugs of cocktails.
 If you think your drink's been tampered with, don't drink it – tell a trusted friend or relative immediately.
 Avoid taking expensive equipment with you or anything that could be a target for thieves.

What should I do if I think my friends drink has been spiked?

 Tell a bar manager, bouncer or member of staff.
 Stay with them and keep talking to them.
 Call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates.
 Don’t let them go home on their own.
 Don’t let them leave the venue with someone you don’t know or trust.
 If possible, try and prevent them drinking more alcohol as this could lead to more serious problems.

If you suspect you’ve been physically or sexually assaulted, you should tell someone. Try to confide in someone you trust like a friend or family member. You can go to the police, local GP surgery or hospital. If you don’t feel able to do that right away you can call the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre on 0808 802 9999 (12–2.30pm and 7-9.30pm every day).

If you, or someone you know, have been affected by sexual harassment or any sort of sexual harm, help and support is available. Victim Support is an independent charity for victims and witnesses of crime. They offer free, confidential help to anyone who’s been affected by sexual harassment. Call 08 08 16 89 111 or go to Victim Support's website.

Feeling uncomfortable with someone?

If you're feeling uncomfortable with someone in Tramps or The Hangar and want to be safely removed from the situation, head to the bar and ask for 'Angela'. Our staff have been trained to help you. Don't be afraid to talk to us, we believe you, and you are not alone.


Welcome Home

Whether you're living in Halls of Residence, private accommodation or a commuter student on campus, it's important to know how you can stay secure and who you can contact in case of an emergency.

Lock it

Are all your windows and doors to your accommodation secure? This is especially important ground floor accommodation and off campus housing. Remember to ensure your bedroom and accommodation doors are shut securely and never prop fire doors open.

Fix it

Request repairs online via the Facilities Helpdesk Portal on MyDay Emergency maintenance is available 24hrs a day - contact Security.

Report it

If you see anything suspicious report it to Campus Security by calling 07977973956. In an emergency call 999.

Is you bike secure?

Use a hard D lock and apply for access to the secure bike storage.

Are you IT Secure?

Support and advice is available from the ICT Support Desk on the first floor of Peirson or phone 01905 857500. More information and guides are also available online.