Help & Advice

Providing independent, confidential, and impartial advice to all University of Worcester students

Quick Links

Bicycle Security

On Campus

There are 423 locations throughout the St John’s campus where you can secure your bike. The vast majority are Sheffield-type hoops and many are located under cover. There are also 100 secure storage spaces, near the halls of residence.

Where to lock up?

There are lots of places to lock up your cycle on campus. Some are undercover, but often these spaces are at a premium.

There are probably hoops and racks in places you’ve never noticed. See one of the campus cycle maps for a list of all the locations.

  • Not all locations can be covered by Security so try and lock up somewhere where there is lots of ‘foot traffic’ and not too isolated.
  • Bear in mind that if you cycle in the winter and arrive in daylight you will often be unlocking your bike in the dark

Secure Storage

  • 100 secure storage spaces are available for year long hire on St John’s Campus near the halls of residence.
  • Access to the storage is via a secure key card and users must apply for a space.

Cycle Insurance

Cycle insurance can be complicated and students are advised to read the policy details thoroughly to check your cycle is insured out and about and whilst stored at home.

Cycle insurance should cost approximately £50 a year. Bikes are usually only insured if locked up using an approved lock (see approved locks for more information).

Cycle Locks

Cycle locks need to be of a good standard in order to be effective. A good lock should cost at least £20.

One way of judging the effectiveness of a lock is to see if it carries the Sold Secure logo. Sold secure is a rating approved by insurance companies and ranks locks to a bronze, silver or gold standard.

Usually insurance companies approve

  • a bronze standard lock for bikes with a value up to £250,
  • silver for £1,500
  • gold for over £1,500
    (please check with your insurer)

Record Keeping

In case your bike is stolen it is important to have an accurate record of the make, model and serial number. One way of doing this is to use the Immobilise website.

Immobilise is the world's largest FREE register of possession ownership details and is used by the UK’s police to trace lost and stolen property.

Immobilise allows users to upload photos and details of their possessions including serial number, value and date bought etc.

This is also useful information to have a record of if you do need to report it stolen to the Police at a later date.

Bike Marking

Bike marking can be a good way to deter potential thieves. West Mercia Police are on campus several times a year offering bike marking.

Find out the latest dates from Student Services or the Students’ Union.

If your Bike is Stolen

  • Report the theft to the Police. To report a non-emergency use 101, always use 999 in an emergency.
  • You can also email the St John’s Local Policing Team:
  • Set up eBay and Gumtree alerts on bikes that match yours. The thief just might try to sell it on a public forum.

Thefts on Campus

  • The University has a team of Security Officers on site 24/7, 365 days a year. Any thefts on campus should also be reported to University Security.
  • If you require their assistance go to or telephone St Johns’ Reception on 01905 855000 or call the Security mobile, 07977 973956.

Back to top

Property Safety - Immobilise It!

West Mercia Police recommend registering personal property on the national property register using the Immobilise website.

This online checking service is used by all UK police forces to trace owners of lost and stolen property. In addition Immobilise is checked daily by a huge range of recovery agencies and lost property offices.

As a direct result of Immobilise there are over 250 cases a week where property is returned or information collected that assists the police in investigating criminal activity involving stolen goods.

Should you have any items stolen, you will find it easier to deal with insurance companies as well.

Back to top

Local Police

Your local police force is West Mercia Police. Contact them using the 101 number.

The University also has two Police Community Support Officers based on campus. Tweet them using @WorcsUniPCSOs or email

Back to top

Personal Possessions Insurance

Halls of Residence

The University of Worcester provides possessions insurance through Endsleigh Insurance for all students in halls of residence or University allocated off campus properties. This covers a range of belongings within your room, including laptops, sports and electrical equipment, clothes and frozen food.

We recommend you review your cover by visiting the Endsleigh website to check what possessions are insured and consider upgrading your insurance to cover mobile phones or your laptop outside of your room.


Private Off Campus Accommodation

It is sometimes possible to extend home contents insurance policies to cover your belongings so check this before you leave home. There are a number of companies that can provide this service to you and it is a good idea to shop around to see who can give you the best deal.

Try a comparison site like:

Back to top

NUS Advice - The Lock

It’s unlikely crime is the first thing you associate with going to university yet one in five students will be a victim of crime while studying at college or university. You may not want to hear this, but criminals see students as easy targets.

On a lighter note, fending off criminals is easier than you think. By following the advice and information on the NUS website The Lock you can reduce the chance of becoming a victim.

The website is designed to help keep yourself, your house and your stuff safe whilst you study. The Lock is packed full of information and helpful tips which will make sure you are prepared for your time as student.

    Visit the NUS site
          The Lock

Back to top